I’ve written a few blog posts recently about freedom. With Memorial Day just behind us and July 4th ahead, we see much in the news about the freedom of our country. I’m thankful every day for the soldiers who fight for our country’s freedom. But for each of us personally, what good is the freedom of our country if we aren’t free within ourselves?
Freedom is a big word.
Personal freedom is like a hot air balloon. There are so many factors that affect whether or not it will be able to fly…. or be free.
Some factors cannot be controlled. Wind and precipitation for instance. Then there are other factors which can be controlled, and are actually used by the balloonist to keep the balloon from flying—tethers and sandbags.
Satan uses as many circumstances as he can to keep us from freedom. We many not be able to control the state of the economy, war among nations, poverty, or natural disasters, but we can control the sandbags and tethers in our lives.
Let me rephrase…with Christ, we can control the sandbags and tethers in our lives.
What are our sandbags and tethers?
- Addiction—To television, pills, work, sex, pornography, food, etc.
- Animosity—Holding a grudge against someone
- Greed—Constantly feeling the need to hold on to your possessions
- Worry—About the future, the economy, your children, poverty, war, etc.
- Abuse—Verbally or physically by someone close to you
- Pride—Defining success by your own understanding and accomplishments
Throw off those sandbags and fly!